To apply for assistance, children must be 12 and under and the following documentation must be presented:
• State issued ID for parent or legal guardian. (Adult other than parent must present proof of legal custody.)
• Birth Certificate for each child being registered (original or certified copy only from Vital Records – no photocopies.)
• Proof of current address (electric bill, water bill, etc. must be within the past month)
• Proof of income for all with income in the household. (SNAP, AFDC, TANF, Social Security printout, unemployment, 2012 income tax statement. If paid in cash, proof must be on official letterhead from employer.)
• Proof of monthly household expenses
• If you live with someone, you must bring a letter from that person, their proof of residency, their proof of income and their household expenses.
Trees bearing ornaments with the names of “Angels” available for adoption will be set up at Sons of Parrish, Son’s Pharmacy at Parrish, Victoria’s Restaurant, Los Reyes Restaurant, Bill and Sons of Carbon Hill and Jim N Nicks Barbecue Restaurant in Jasper.
These businesses have agreed to host The Salvation Army Angel Trees for the convenience of those adopting and purchasing gifts for the children screened and approved for the program. However, all gifts must be delivered to the Salvation Army Service Center for distribution to families.
Last year, Salvation Army served 250 children. With the increased numbers being seen at the Salvation Army Food Bank, director Lona Courington anticipates this number to rise to around 300.
“We will be working together with other churches, social service programs and fire departments to eliminate duplication of services,” said Courington.
For more information on how to apply for The Salvation Army Angel Tree, contact Debbie Willcutt at 205-221-7737.