Brawl mars Walker-Cullman game
by Johnathan Bentley
Aug 31, 2013 | 49909 views | 0 0 comments | 78 78 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Cullman defensive coordinator Matt Hopper is restrained by police officers following a brawl on the field following Friday night's Walker-Cullman game. Photo by Jeff Johnsey
Cullman defensive coordinator Matt Hopper is restrained by police officers following a brawl on the field following Friday night's Walker-Cullman game. Photo by Jeff Johnsey
The game was over. Cullman celebrated. Walker was devastated.

Then the rivalry came to blows.

As both teams headed off the field, coaches from both teams weren’t quite ready to call it a night as an ugly brawl erupted on the field after Cullman’s rousing 13-10 last-second victory.

Punches were thrown and coaches were tackled to the ground as police tried to gain control of the situation.

Cullman defensive coordinator Matt Hopper left the field with a bloody face and a ripped shirt after allegedly being punched by a Walker coach on the field after the fight.

Following the altercation, both teams were rushed off the field and extra security was called to the school.

Jasper City School Superintendent Robert Sparkman had no comment as he tried to gather facts on the situation.

Walker coach John Holladay and Cullman coach Mark Britton weren’t available for comment after the game.

The game proved to be a another heartbreaking loss for Walker.

The contest was also filled with mental mistakes and penalties. The teams combined for 20 penalties totaling 191 yards. Walker was flagged 11 times for 115 yards.

The Vikings led 10-0 going into the fourth quarter, but gave up two touchdowns in the final 8:36.

Cullman quarterback Tyler Glenn scored the game-winning touchdown on a 6-yard run with just 18 seconds remaining.

The Bearcats’ final drive was set up after a mix up with the down marker resulted in Walker going for it on fourth down and coming up short.

With the marker reading third down, Walker quarterback Bryant Atkins rushed for nine yards. The only problem was that the run came on what turned out to be a 4th-and-12 play.

Instead of Walker punting the ball away, Cullman took over on its own 46-yard line with 3:03 left.

The Bearcats put together 13-play scoring drive to earn their fourth straight win over Walker.

The Vikings took a 3-0 lead after the opening possession on a 34-yard field Ran Crump field goal with 9:48 left in the opening quarter.

Walker made the score 10-0 with 2:06 left in the half on a Atkins 1-yard quarterback sneak

The score remained the same until the fourth quarter when Cullman finally got into the end zone with 8:36 left in the game when Glenn hit Joseph Gable on a 10-yard touchdown.

The drive was setup by an interception from Cullman’s Winfield Moon.

The key play of the drive came on a 4th-and-1 play at the 6-yard line. Cullman’s Garrett Crider got the first down by inches.

Walker’s next possession resulted in the turnover on downs. Walker then went 46 yard in 2:45. Glenn ran in from six yards out for the game-clinching score.

Cullman ran 30 plays in the final quarter compared to just 10 for Walker. One of those was an interception on the first-place of the quarter and another was the failed fourth down conversion.

Walker had opportunities to add to its lead in the first half, but missed a 21-yard field goal on the second play of the second quarter.

Defensively, KJ Farris and Jaiquan Crook each recovered fumbles for Walker in the game.

Cullman’s win gave the Bearcats a 34-33-2 advantage in the series. The Bearcats beat Walker twice last season, including 30-0 in the second round of the playoffs.