The Parrish Town Council announced more than 100 verified voters signed the petition, fulfilling the state’s mandated 30 percent of the registered voters in the most recent municipal election — surpassing the 93 voters required by law.
Mayor Pro Tem Cedrick Ramsey stated that an ordinance to legalize the election will be drawn up by the town’s legal counsel for vote by council members. If the ordinance passes, the town will have to allow 21 days to pass before the election can be held.
In other actions from the meeting:
• Ramsey announced that the city’s department heads will report to council members on a weekly basis, replacing the monthly reports presented at council meetings.
“Our department heads will still give monthly reports as they presently do, but weekly reports will allow us as a council to address any matters or issues that may need our attention,” Ramsey said. “We feel that this is a more efficient way to serve our citizens’ needs and make our community better.”
• Council member Jackie Shanklin gave an update on the town’s new library and resource center, stating that facility is near completion pending the placement of bookshelves.
“Once he have the shelves built, we can fill them with books and set up the computers and internet for use in our library,” Shanklin said. “We have come a long way and overcame some delays we experienced, but everything looks really good.”
The council also stated that donations of books and magazines for the library can be brought to Town Hall. Council member Ivan Poe said that childrens books are strongly needed.
• Town Clerk Marcy Brown announced that a grant of $638 by the Youth Leadership of Walker County was given to the to town for the library. Brown said that an electric heater and a window air conditioning unit were purchased using the funds.
• A motion to hold a public work session on every Tuesday morning at 9 a.m. at town hall throughout April and May passed unanimously.
• The town’s police, fire and street department reports were read.
Mayor Wayne Gross was absent from the meeting.