Testimony continues in sex abuse trial
by Rachel Davis
Feb 23, 2013 | 4899 views | 0 0 comments | 12 12 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Carl David Plylar
Carl David Plylar
The trial in the case of a Parrish man charged with six counts of sexual assault on a child less than 12 years of age continued Friday .

Day two of testimony in the trial of Carl David Plylar of Parrish began with the alleged victim’s mother still on the stand.

The woman, who is a former employee of Plylar, testified that she never saw anything inappropriate between her daughter and the defendant and that she never saw pornography featuring children, although she said she did see pornography depicting sexual acts between women and animals at his residence/business.

She said that she stopped working for Plylar after a disagreement with him regarding a bank deposit, but Plylar continued to care for her daughter.

She also testified that she took her daughter to Walker Baptist Medical Center for an exam after her daughter reported blood in her stool and allegedly told her mother that Plylar had abused her.

Former Walker County District Attorney Investigator Jim Underwood took the stand next. Underwood interviewed the alleged victim in 2002, as well as interviewing the mother, other witnesses and obtaining and executing a search warrant on the Plylar Body Shop property.

Underwood said that he seized three computers from within Plylar’s Body Shop, as well as bedding from Plylar’s bed. These items were turned over to state forensic experts for analysis.

He said that the forensic analysis of the bedding did not return any evidence to further this case.

Underwood also said that analysis of the sexual assault kit taken at the hospital returned no evidence of sexual abuse on the victim.

“The report I received had nothing of value to this investigation,” Underwood said.

After lunch, the prosecution called two women who claimed Plylar sexually assaulted them when they were children and he was married to their sister. Neither woman had ever reported the abuse and both sets of allegations came into play in 2002, after Plylar’s divorce from their sister. The third witness of the afternoon was one of the sister’s children, Plylar’s niece by marriage, who also alleged a forced sexual relationship when she was a child.

The defense countered that the niece never mentioned this abuse during the original interviews, but did tell investigators that as an adult she was involved in a romatic relationship with Plylar.

On the stand, the niece vehemently denied a long-term, consensual relationship with the defendant while she was in her 20s.

After a brief recess, the niece changed her statement and admitted that she and Plylar engaged in a sexual relationship once she was an adult.

The defense repeatedly emphasized that none of these women reported the alleged abuse until Plylar and his wife were mid-divorce, as well as attempting to show that the women continued to be around Plylar and allowed their children to be around Plylar after the alleged abuse.

Judge Jerry Selman said he anticipated the trial continuing into Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, before adjourning the jury for the weekend with instructions not to talk about the case with anyone.