The “What’s Going On” Section will be featured each Wednesday and Sunday in the Daily Mountain Eagle, and on the Calendar at www.mountaineagle.com. Events are listed by calendar date and time …
The “What’s Going On” Section will be featured each Wednesday and Sunday in the Daily Mountain Eagle, and on the Calendar at www.mountaineagle.com. Events are listed by calendar date and time as space allows, so guarantee when, or the number of days, an event will run. The deadline to place a an event is no later than noon on Tuesday and Friday. Email information for What’s Going On to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205-221-2840, ext. 246.
• Opiates Anonymous meetings are held at the Jasper Civic Center/Desperation Church Monday through Friday from noon until 1 p.m. and Sunday and Wednesday evenings at 5:30 p.m.
• NarAnon family support group for family members dealing with a loved one with addiction to any substances meet Sunday and Wednesday evenings at 5:30 p.m. at Desperation Church.
• Diabetes Education classes at Capstone Rural Health Center in Parrish are held weekly on Mondays from noon until 1 p.m.
• The annual Johnston/Willis reunion will not be held this year or until further notice. For more information, contact Stacy Johnston at 205-622-3476.
• Guthrie Cemetery off of Hwy 102 will have their last cemetery cleaning the first week of October, so please remove all flowers before then.
WEDNESDAY, OCT. 16
• There will be a fried apple and lemon pie sale from 9 a.m. until noon at the Berry Community Center at the Lower Housing Area. Pies are $1.00 each and all proceeds go to help fund the Berry Civic Center Gospel Singings held every third Saturday. To order, please call Lavonne Madison at 205-932-0707.
THURSDAY, OCT. 17
• A free Expungement and Voter Restoration Clinic will take place at the Jasper Civic Center from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. No appointment needed. Only counsel and advice for filing expungements provided. For more information, call 256-799-0292.
• VFW Post 4850 (across from hospital) hosts Bingo every Monday and Thursday at 2 p.m.
• Prospect Independent Methodist Church hosts a Quilting Group every Tuesday and Thursday starting at 8 a.m. Lunch is served. For questions, call 387-2256 or 384-4233.
• Walker Baptist Medical Center Volunteer Auxiliary is sponsoring "Collective Goods-Formerly Books Are Fun!" at Walker Baptist Medical Center Main Lobby both days from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. 40-70% off Books, Gadgets, Health and Wellness, Kids Games and Toys, and Home Goods. Open to the public. Proceeds benefit WBMC Auxiliary to fund projects within the hospital.
FRIDAY, OCT. 18
• Carbon Hill Presbyterian Church will be selling Swamp John's plates for $12 each from 4 until 7 p.m. You can choose from chicken, fish, or shrimp.
SATURDAY, OCT. 19
• New Prospect Baptist Church will have their monthly Food Closet from 8am-11am on the 3rd Saturday of each month.
• Eldridge Volunteer Fire Dept. will host a Turkey & Skeet Shoot from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at I-22 Motorsports Park in Eldridge.
• The 2nd Annual Carbon Hill-oween will take place in downtown Carbon Hill starting at 6 p.m. There will be a costume lineup and free food, followed by a movie at dark.
• Annual West Jasper Day will be held from 10:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. in the parking lot of Maranatha Baptist Church. Yard sale tables will be available. There will be a moon walk for children, face painting, and other events.Come early to set up tables. For more information, call Jerry Boyd at 471-0579. The church is located at 1705 Barker St W, Jasper.
SUNDAY, OCT. 20
• Party for Pink Celebration on the Courthouse Square from 3 until 5 p.m. 10 instructors will be leading dance fitness routines. T-shirts will be sold to raise money for the 2019 Honoree suffering from Breast Cancer. Contact Sharon Hogg for more information at 205-275-3181.
• Sons of Confederate Veterans meet on the 3rd Sunday of every month at 2 p.m. in the building behind the Jasper 1st United Methodist Church (Youth Center). Open to the public, visitors welcome.
MONDAY, OCT. 21
• Townley Community Center will host a Halloween Carnival from 6 until 9 p.m. Lots of games and fun for all ages!
THURSDAY, OCT. 24
• The Rotary Club of Jasper wants to bring awareness of Polio to Walker County with the 0.5K Walk for Polio. The event will begin at 5:30 p.m. Walkers can start at either Tallulah Brewery or Twisted Barley Brewery. The Cigar Box will host a rest stop between the two. Registration is $15 and all proceeds will go to support The Rotary Foundation’s Polio Plus efforts. For more information, please contact Holly Trawick at 310-3189.
• Walker County Genealogical Society meets the 4th Thursday of every month at 1 p.m. at Jasper Public Library.
MONDAY, OCT. 28
• BamaCarry of Walker County will host their meeting at 5 Loaves Bakery featuring Tommy Tuberville as speaker. Open to the public.
SATURDAY, NOV. 2
• The 37th Annual Eldridge Day/15th Annual Car Show will be begin at 8 a.m. at the Eldridge Town Hall. Arts, crafts, country store, and inflatables for children. Barbecue and chicken plates will be served beginning at 11 a.m. Booths are $15, no food/drink vendors please. All proceeds benefit the Eldridge Volunteer Fire Department. For more information, call the Eldridge Town Hall at 205-924-4383.
SATURDAY, NOV. 16
• The Carbon Hill Church of God of Prophecy will offer a community Thanksgiving meal, "Share Yours", for families from 12 p.m. until 3 p.m. First come, first served. This is a free meal open to anyone in the community. If you would like to contribute or have further questions, contact Jacob at 205-300-3807.
THURSDAY, DEC. 5
• The Walker County Educator Retirees will meet at 10 a.m. at the Jasper Civic Center. The program will be "Holiday Concert" presented by the Bevill State Community College Choir. The meetings which are every two months last only one hour, so come join us.