The “What’s Going On” Section will be featured each Wednesday and Sunday in the Daily Mountain Eagle, and on the Calendar at www.mountaineagle.com. Events are listed by calendar date and time …
The “What’s Going On” Section will be featured each Wednesday and Sunday in the Daily Mountain Eagle, and on the Calendar at www.mountaineagle.com. Events are listed by calendar date and time as space allows, so guarantee when, or the number of days, an event will run. The deadline to place a an event is no later than noon on Tuesday and Friday. Email information for What’s Going On to Elane Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205-221-2840, ext. 246.
• Opiates Anonymous meetings are held at the Jasper Civic Center/Desperation Church Monday through Friday from noon until 1 p.m. and Sunday and Wednesday evenings at 5:30 p.m.
• NarAnon family support group for family members dealing with a loved one with addiction to any substances meet Sunday and Wednesday evenings at 5:30 p.m. at Desperation Church.
• Freedom Assembly of God is giving free summer meals to children ages 18 and under for the month of July. $3 per parent that comes with the child. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m.
• Diabetes Education classes at Capstone Rural Health Center in Parrish are held weekly on Mondays from noon until 1 p.m.
• The Jasper City School System is attempting to locate, identify, and evaluate individuals with disabilities from birth to 21 years of age who reside in the city limits of Jasper as part of Child Find. Anyone knowing of a child in need of special education services who is not receiving them or need more info should call Betty Odom at 205-384-6880 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
• All flowers need to be picked up off the ground at Union Chapel Cemetery by August 1.
• Raising Arrows After School Care serves all Jasper City Schools Monday-Friday from 3:00 until 5:30 p.m. Transportation available. Hot meal and snack every day. For more information, call 205-530-9911.
TUESDAY, JULY 30
• The Parrish Junior High School locker sale - 7th grade lockers will be sold from 9 until 10 a.m., 6th grade lockers will be sold from 10 until 11 a.m. and 5th grade lockers will be sold from 1 until 2 p.m. The locker fee is $15, which includes the combination lock. Top lockers will be first come first serve.
• Prospect Independent Methodist Church hosts a Quilting Group every Tuesday and Thursday starting at 8 a.m. Lunch is served. For more information, call 387-2256 or 384-4233.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 31
• Curry High School sophomores can pick up their schedules from 8 until 11 a.m., and freshmen can get theirs from 12 until 3 p.m. Freshmen orientation will be at 3 p.m.
THURSDAY, AUG. 1
• The Walker County Educator Retirees will meet at 10 a.m. at Jasper Civic Center.
• Cordova Senior Activity Center will host an indoor yard sale from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Thursday and Friday, and from 7:30 until ? on Saturday.
SATURDAY, AUG. 3
• Curry High School Classes of 1964, 1965, 1966, and 1967 will have a reunion at the old Trach School Lunchroom from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. BBQ plates and drinks available for $10 each. If you plan to attend, call one of the following numbers — 901-4493, 221-3377, 387-1509 or 275-7544.
• The 85th consecutive annual Sandlin family reunion will be at the Cold Springs Community Center in Bremen. Anyone with the last name Sandlin or related to the Sandlin family will be most welcome. Fun and fellowship from 10 a.m. until the last cousins leave. Covered dish dinner at noon. For more information, call Patsy Lee (Sandlin) Medlock at 205-995-7988 or 205-915-1870.
• Union Chapel Community Center will host their monthly dance at 6:30 p.m. Classic Country Band will be performing. $3 admission at the door. Bring a covered dish to share.
MONDAY, AUG. 5
• Jasper Housing Authority and Raising Arrows are hosting a Community Back to School Bash at Jasper Housing Authority from 6 until 9 p.m. Free hair cuts, backpacks, school supplies, clothes giveaway, games, food, and more. For more information, please call 205-384-4864.
SUNDAY, AUG. 11
• The Stovall Family will have its annual get together at the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church in Fayette County beginning at noon. Bring your memories and a covered dish and be prepared to enjoy catching up with family and friends.
• Walker Baptist Volunteer Auxiliary is hosting "Women’s & Children’s Clothes by Britches & Bows" on Aug. 14 from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. and Aug. 15 from 7 a.m. until 3 p.m. Women’s sizes small-3X; Girls’ size Infant – 16; Boys’ size infant – 7. Location: Lobby – Ground Floor. Cash, Credit, Debit cards accepted.