WHAT'S GOING ONThe “What’s Going On” Section will be featured each Wednesday and Sunday in the Daily Mountain Eagle, and on the Calendar at www.mountaineagle.com. Events are listed by calendar …
WHAT'S GOING ON
The “What’s Going On” Section will be featured each Wednesday and Sunday in the Daily Mountain Eagle, and on the Calendar at www.mountaineagle.com. Events are listed by calendar date and time as space allows, so guarantee when, or the number of days, an event will run. The deadline to place a an event is no later than noon on Tuesday and Friday. Email information for What’s Going On to Elane Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 205-221-2840, ext. 246.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 9
• Warren Family Reunion for descendants of James and John Warren will be held Sunday, Sept. 9, in the Hilton-Walker Building behind Traders and Farmers Bank in Double Springs. For more information, please call 205-489-2320.
• American Legion Unit 9 Woods/Smith Auxiliary in Jasper will meet the second Sunday of each month at 2 p.m. at the Bus Barn located at 1000 Viking Drive in Jasper. For more information, please contact Shannon Williamson 205-689-3142.
MONDAY, SEPT. 10
• Smith Lake Civic Association's Fall Lake Cleanup is scheduled for Monday, Sept. 10, and Tuesday, Sept. 11. Volunteers wishing to assist with the cleanup will meet at the Smith Lake Dam parking lot each day at 8:30 a.m., then return for lunch and go back out in the afternoon. All SLCA members are being encouraged to participate. For more information or to RSVP, call Roger Treglown at 205-300-5253.
• Arley Women’s Club meets the second Monday of each month at the Arley Library, with lunch at noon and meeting at 1 p.m.
• Ladies Monday Night Bowling League will begin a new season of play on Monday, Sept. 10, at 6 p.m. at the Jasper Bowling Center. The league is open to four-person teams. For more information, call Alanda Key at 717-9404.
• Cub Scout Pack 10 will host a sign-up for boys and girls in K–5th Grade on Monday, Sept. 10, at 6 p.m. at the Woodland Trace Church of Christ. The Pack will hold a meeting following sign-up.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 11
• Walker Baptist Medical Center Auxiliary will sponsor a Uniform Sale on Tuesday, Sept. 11, and Wednesday, Sept. 12, from 7 a.m. — 4 p.m. in the Education Center on the first floor of the hospital. The sale is presented by the Uniform Place of Cullman. The public is welcome. Cash and credit/debit cards accepted. Proceeds will help fund projects within the hospital.
• Woods-Smith Post 9 of the American Legion will host a public outdoor commemoration ceremony at the Walker County Courthouse on Tuesday, Sept. 11, starting at 8 a.m.
to honor the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks.
• East Walker Grief Support Group will meet the second Tuesday of each month at 10:15 a.m. at the Sumiton Community Center at 193 Bryan Road in Sumiton.
• Jasper Herb Society meets the second Tuesday of each month at 5:30 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church in Jasper.
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 12
• Forestry BMP, OSHA Regulation and Deer Chronic Wasting Disease Workshop to be held Wednesday, Sept. 12, in Jasper. Workshop topics will include, Deer Chronic Wasting Disease, Pine and Hardwood Genetics, BMP’s, OSHA Safety & PPE, Insect Borne Diseases and Forestry Ethics. PLM’S & CFE’s will be available for attendees. There is no charge to attend, however reservations are requested. Reservation deadline is Monday, Sept. 3. To make a reservation, please contact Katherine at the Walker County Conservation District at 205-387-1879, ext. 3204.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 13
• Breast Cancer Support Group of Walker County meets the second Thursday of each month at 1:30 p.m., in the Community Room at the Carl Elliott Regional Library on 18th Street in Jasper.
• Walker County Democratic Party meets the second Thursday of each month at the Democratic Party Headquarters at 52 North Walston Bridge Road, Suite 104, (behind Aldi's), in Jasper. Meeting will begin at 5:30 p.m. For more information, please call any of the following numbers: 205-388-6088; 870-834-3721; 205-717-4027; 205-221-6175; 205-221-3296; or 205-221-3296.
• Red Knights International Motorcycle Club Alabama Chapter 9 meets the second Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store in Jasper. Meeting is open to all retired and active firefighters, and those involved in firefighting operations (past or present) who enjoy motorcycles. For more information, contact Danny at 205-515-2610 or Sparky at 205-717-7039.
• Arley American Legion Post 0223 meets the second Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m., at the Boy Scout Lodge in Arley.
• Jasper American Legion Woods-Smith Post 9 meets the second Thursday of each month at 6:30 p.m., at the Wade Math & Science Building at 805 14th St. on the Bevill State Community College - Jasper Campus. Doors open at 6 p.m. For more information, contact Adjutant James Snow 205-527-7090; or e-mail email@example.com.
FRIDAY, SEPT. 14
• Jasper Senior Activity Center on 14th Street West in Jasper hosts a dance at the Memorial Park Natatorium in Jasper the second Friday of each month from 7 until 10 p.m. Admission is $5. For more information, call 205-221-8513.
SATURDAY, SEPT. 15
• VFW Post 4850 Auxiliary in Jasper will host the "River Bug Motorcycle Run on Saturday, September 15, 2018. Registration begins at 9:00 a.m. at Jeans on the Rivers, 305 River Rd, Cordova, AL 35550, kick stands up at 11:00 a.m. Entry fee: Rider $20 passenger $5. For more information call Dana Pate (205) 544-6530 or Bunny Murray (205) 471-5984.
• Forever and Always Patriots will have a car show on Saturday, Sept. 15, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Piggly Wiggly in Dora. Awards will be given out in several categories. A Kids Zone will also have a bouncy house, face painting and horse rides. Food and vendors will be available, and a DJ and koreoke entertainment will be provided. Early registration is $15 at Vapors for You at 325 Highway 78 in Sumiton. Regular registration will be $20 per car the day of the show. All proceeds go to the group's homeless veterans village, and donations are accepted. Anyone wanting more information may call 205-224-7524 or they may go to the group's Facebook page.
• Russell Family Reunion for the decedents of George and Minnie Lee Russell will be held Saturday, Sept. 15, beginning at noon at the New Beginnings Church of God located at 860 New Parrish Highway in Parrish. For more information, call Kelly Buzbee at 205-275-6711 or Cindy Russell at 205-295-8270.
SUNDAY, SEPT. 16
• Sons of Confederate Veterans Major John C. Hutto Camp 443 meets the third Sunday of each month at 2 p.m. in the building located behind the First United Methodist Church in Jasper.
MONDAY, SEPT. 17
• Pineywoods Volunteer Fire Department will host a Swamp John's Supper fundraiser Monday, Sept. 17, from 4 – 7 p.m. at the Pineywoods Fire Station located on Pineywoods-Sipsey Road (just off Alabama Highway 69 North) in Jasper.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 20
• Pilot Club of Jasper meets the third Thursday of each month at noon at the Francis Israel Hospitality Center on the Bevill State Community College - Jasper Campus.
• Fibromyalgia Support Group of Walker County meets the third Thursday of each month at 1 p.m. at the Jasper Civic Center on 19th St. in Jasper. For more information, call 205-387-1833 or 205-275-4984.
• New Beacon Hospice at 300 North Airport Rd., in Jasper hosts a monthly Grief Support Group the third Thursday of each month at 2 p.m., at the office. For more information, contact Stan Prewett by phone at 205-387-9339 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• VFW Post 4850 in Jasper and its Auxiliary will be hosting its annual POW/MIA Ceremony on Thursday, Sept. 20, at 5 p.m. at the Walker County Courthouse Square. Everyone is invited to attend.
• Sumiton Senior Dance is held the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at Senior Complex in Sumiton. Music provided by Country Classic Band. Admission $3.
• Cordova High School Class of 1963 will hold a reunion on Saturday, Sept. 22, at 2:30 p.m. at Jean's on the River.
TUESDAY, SEPT. 25
• Parkinson’s Support Group meets the fourth Tuesday of each month at 6 p.m. in the Community Room at the First Christian Church at 400 18th St. W. in Jasper. For more information, call First Christian Church at 205-387-0646.
• Capstone Rural Health Outreach Department will host a Medicare Education & Fraud Prevention Program on Sept. 25, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Jasper Civic Center located at 204 19th St. East in Jasper. Attend this FREE event to learn about Medicare and issues which my affect your Medicare benefits beginning in 2019. Door prizes, vendors, free lunch and keynote speakers. To register for the event, please contact the Capstone Rural Health Outreach by phone at 205-724-9031 or by email at email@example.com.
WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 26
• Town of Oakman Corner Market will be open the fourth Wednesday of each month from 8–9:30 a.m. at the corner of Market Street and Alabama Highway 69 South in Oakman. For more information, call Town of Oakman at 205-622-3232.
THURSDAY, SEPT. 27
• Walker County Genealogical Society will meet the fourth Thursday of each month at 1 p.m. in the meeting room of the Jasper Public Library on 18th Street in Jasper.
• Alzheimer's Disease Support Group will host monthly meetings fourth Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at Samaria Baptist Church located at 70 East Lake Road in Jasper. The meetings will be facilitated by Dr. Morris Murray Jr., and consist of encouragement and support for AD caregivers, including specific perspectives on causes, treatment options, and legal matters.
• Burrows Crossing Neighborhood Watch meets the last Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the Philadelphia Baptist Church on Burrows Crossing Road in Jasper. For more information, call Jason Akins at 256-962-3082 or Libbie Myers at 205-221-9410.
MONDAY, OCT. 1
• Walker County Beekeepers Association will host a Beginning Beekeepers Class on the following Mondays: Oct. 1, Oct. 8, Oct. 15, Oct. 22, Oct. 29, Nov. 12, and Nov. 19. Classes will be held at 6:30 p.m. at the Walker County Extension Office. The class is free.