The following is a list of special announcements from city and county schools.Walker County SchoolsCordova Elementary School• Kindergarten orientation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. on Aug. 2; first- and …
The following is a list of special announcements from city and county schools.
Walker County Schools
Cordova Elementary School
• Kindergarten orientation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. on Aug. 2; first- and second-grade orientation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. on Aug. 5; and third- and fourth-grade orientation will be from 2 to 4 p.m. on Aug. 6.
Valley Jr. High School
• A Title I/parent meeting will be held at 1 p.m. on Aug. 5, followed by a kindergarten through third-grade orientation meeting from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
• A Title I/parent meeting will be held at 1 p.m. on Aug. 6, followed by fourth- through eighth-grade orientation from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
Students can meet their teachers, bring supplies and purchase lockers during orientation.
Curry Middle School
• Lockers will be on sale on the following dates: July 29, fifth-grade, from 9 to 11 a.m.; July 29, sixth-grade from 1 to 3 p.m.; July 30, seventh-grade, from 9 to 11 a.m.; and July 30, eighth-grade, from 1 to 3 p.m. Students can purchase lockers on a make up date, July 31.
Parrish Elementary School
• Pre-K orientation will be Aug. 5, at 5 p.m. Start date information will be provided at orientation.
• Kindergarten parents will sign up for required kindergarten assessments during an open house on Aug. 5 from 5 to 7 p.m. A kindergarten parent/student orientation meeting will be Aug. 8 from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. The first full day of school for kindergarten students will be Aug. 12.
Parrish Junior High School
• Lockers will go on sale at Parrish Junior High School on July 30 at the following times: 9 to 10 a.m. (7th grade); 10 to 11 a.m. (6th grade); and 1 to 2 p.m. (5th grade).
Lockers will cost $15 and include the combination lock. Top lockers will be first come, first serve.
Oakman High School
• Lockers and parking tags will go on sale at Oakman High School for the 2019-20 school year from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the following days: July 30 (freshmen), July 31 (sophomores) and Aug. 1 and 2 (juniors and seniors).
Lockers are $25 and parking tags are $30.
To purchase a parking tag students must bring a current Alabama driver's license and proof of insurance. All students that drive to school and park on Walker County Board of Education property must purchase a parking tag. Only 10th- through 12th-grade students may drive this year.
Schedules may also be picked up while buying lockers.
• Bill Miller Photography will take senior portraits on Aug. 1 and 2 at the Oakman High School auditorium. All seniors should receive a notice in the mail from Bill Miller with the time of their appointment listed.
Oakman Elementary/Middle School
• Lockers will go on sale Aug. 1 and 2 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Student, family orientation and Title I meetings will be held on the following days from 5 to 6 p.m.: Aug. 5 (K-4) and Aug. 6 (5-8).
A kindergarten-only parent meeting will also be held on Aug. 1 at 5:30 p.m.
Meetings for all grade levels will be held in the lunchroom.
Students are asked to bring all of their school supplies during their orientation meetings to drop off at their classroom as they meet their teachers.
Curry High School
• Sophomores and freshmen may pick up their schedules on July 31 — 8 to 11 a.m. for 10th-graders and noon to 3 p.m. for ninth-graders.
• Freshman orientation will be at 3 p.m. on July 31 at the school.
Carbon Hill Elementary School
•An open house will be held on Tuesday, Aug. 6, at 5 p.m. at the school. Students will have an opportunity to purchase lockers at this time. Students will receive their schedules and visit their homerooms.
Carbon Hill High School
• Pre-registration will be held on July 29 for seniors (9 a.m.) and juniors (1 p.m.).
Pre-registration will be held on July 30 for sophomores (1 p.m.) and freshmen (6 p.m.).
Students will be able to purchase lockers ($20) and parking permits ($20). Only cash will be accepted for payment. Parking permits require proof of a driver's license, auto insurance, and a tag receipt.
Cordova High School
• Lockers and parking passes may be picked up as follows: seniors, July 30, 8 to 9:30 a.m.; juniors, July 30, 10 to 11:30 a.m.; sophomores, July 31, 8 to 9:30 a.m.; and freshmen, July 31, 10 to 11:30 a.m.
Lockers will be $20 and parking passes will be $30. Only cash will be accepted.
Proof of insurance and a driver's license will be required to purchase a parking pass.
Locker purchases are required. Students will not receive their schedules until they purchase a locker.
• Freshmen orientation will be Aug. 1 at 6 p.m.
Bankhead Middle School
• Students must pay a supply fee of $45 before being able to purchase a locker for $15. Only cash will be accepted.
Supply fees may be paid and lockers may be purchased on Aug. 1 (eighth-grade from 9 to 11 a.m. and seventh-grade from noon to 2 p.m.) and Aug. 2 (sixth-grade from 9 to 11 a.m. and fifth-grade from noon to 2 p.m.).
Lockers may also be purchased the week of Aug. 5, and supply fees can be paid.
Lupton Jr. High School
• Title I parent orientation will be held on Aug. 6, at 6 p.m. School supplies may be brought that evening.
Lockers will also be sold to seventh- and eighth-grade students for $15. Students in seventh-grade receive bottom lockers and eighth-grade students get top lockers.
Dora High School
• Freshmen orientation will be held on Aug. 6 at 2 p.m. at the school.
Sumiton Elementary School
• Parent orientation will be Aug. 5 at 9 a.m. for Pre-K, 10:30 a.m. for kindergarten, and 2 to 4 p.m. for first- through fourth-grade.
• Homeroom lists will be posted the last week in July.
Sumiton Middle School
• Orientation will be held on Aug. 5 from 4:30 to 6 p.m. for fifth- and sixth-graders and 6 to 7:30 p.m. for seventh- and eighth-graders.
Jasper City Schools
T.R. Simmons Elementary School
• Parent orientation will be Monday, Aug. 5, at 8 a.m. for kindergarten students and 10 a.m. for first-grade students at the T.R. Simmons gym.
• Kindergarten supplies cost is $45, with a technology fee of $30. Students should bring their own red/blue nap mat. Teachers may request other supplies.
First-grade supplies cost is $45, with a technology fee of $30. Teachers may request other supplies.
Memorial Park Elementary School
• Orientation will be held Aug. 5 at noon for second-graders and 2 p.m. for third-graders at the Memorial Park Elementary School gym.
Maddox Intermediate School
• Orientation will be held Aug. 6 for fourth-graders at 8 a.m., fifth-graders at 10 a.m., and sixth-graders at 1 p.m. at the Maddox auditorium.
Jasper Junior High School
• Orientation will be held Aug. 5 at 4 p.m. for seventh-graders and 7 p.m. for eighth-graders at the Jasper High School theater.
* Other announcements may be added closer to the start of school, Aug. 8.