Most of the warrants were issued for charges of theft or receiving stolen property.
Four of the six cases were more than a year old. One dated back to 2009, another to 2010 and two to 2011.
“With so many of these being property crimes, there are victims that haven’t had answers. They can’t get justice without these individuals being arrested first. Now they can get their day in court,” Chief Nick Smith said.
Smith said the U.S. Marshal’s Service was instrumental in locating the individuals who no longer live in or frequent Cordova.
Smith added that the city’s lack of participation in the National Crime Information Center, a computerized index of criminal justice information, contributed to the backlog.
“Because Cordova has not been able to put their warrants in the system, nobody knows these individuals have a warrant in Cordova except Cordova. If the warrant is issued and they never come back, they haven’t had to worry. That changed today,” Smith said.
The Cordova City Council voted earlier this month to begin participating in NCIC.
The round-up began at 7:30 a.m. on Friday and concluded around 2:30 p.m.
Smith said 19 warrants were included in the mission, 11 of which were executed.
“We have reason to believe that the others have moved out of state or out of the county,” Smith said.
In addition to the U.S. Marshal’s Service, the Cordova PD was assisted by the city’s fire chief, Dean Harbison, and Beat 22 Constable Hugh Plylar.
The following is a list of individuals arrested in Friday’s round-up along with the charges:
• Aquintez Harris, 26, Elliott Heights Apartments, Cordova; second degree possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and further charges pending of second degree possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of a prescription medication
• Kimberly Nuckols, 39, 634 Buttercup Road, Cordova; possession of a controlled substance, possesion of drug paraphernalia, public intoxication, third degree receiving stolen property and carrying a concealed weapon
• George Posey Jr., 59, 4641 Beech Grove Road, Townley; first degree theft of a motor vehicle and second degree burglary
• Daniel Whisenhunt, 27, 190 Summerchase Drive, Nauvoo; second degree theft of property and second degree receiving stolen property
• Michael Dale Newborn, 35, 5254 Kings Mill Road, Oakman; second degree receiving stolen property
• Jeremy Patrick Warren, 36, Rocky Ridge Road, Sumiton; second degree theft of property